Intellectual Property Rights Form
As a manufacturer of recorded material, Furnace is obligated to make sure that all of the audio recordings, video, and data that we duplicate is owned or being used legally by our customers. Each project requires a completed “IPR” declaration (included on our order form) that states who the owner of the master contents are and if needed, executed licensing documents when including material that is the property of another party or parties.

Maximum file size: 267.39MB

What do I need to submit if I’m putting out a compilation record with various artists included?

When using someone else’s recording on your release, you’ll need a signed Master License from the Master Rights Owner of the recording.

If you are a label who owns all of the masters by the various artists appearing on the recording, you will need to show Furnace a document showing us that these recordings are currently under your control and not under a separate license from the band/owner. You will also need to pay Mechanical Licenses (as you should be doing with all the records you sell on your label.)

Maximum file size: 267.39MB

What do I need to submit if my recording has a sample of other artist’s work?

Let’s say you sampled a killer drum beat by the Meters or you’d like to include some dialog from a Star Wars (hopefully not JarJar Binks). You’ll need to submit a contract to Furnace stating that you have permission from the Master Rights Owners of that recording in the form of a Master License (direct from the label or film company). You MAY also need to pay for and secure a Mechanical License from either the Harry Fox Agency or directly from whoever controls the publishing.

Maximum file size: 267.39MB

What do I need to submit if my recording includes a cover song?

If you cover a song by another artist, you are the Master Rights holder of that recording but you will still need to secure a Mechanical License so that the royalties are paid to the owner of the song’s publishing.
Head over to to register and pay for the required Mechanical License.

What is a Master License?

The Master Rights owner is the band, artist, label, estate, etc. who owns the master tapes - usually the person or entity who financed the recording. A Master License from the owner grants you the right to include an artist’s song(s) on your replicated finished goods (Vinyl, Digital, Download Card files, etc.)

What is a Mechanical License?

A mechanical license grants the rights to reproduce and distribute copyrighted musical compositions (songs) on Vinyl, CDs, tapes, ringtones, permanent digital downloads, interactive streams and other digital configurations. If you want to record and distribute a song that you don’t own or control, or if your business requires the distribution of music that was written by others, you need to get a mechanical license.

Maximum file size: 267.39MB